How to Negotiate with SKY
Want to get a fairer deal from SKY?
Follow our step by step guide to negotiating a fairer deal.
Firstly it is important to understand whether you are being overcharged by SKY and you ought to do something about it. Check how much other people are paying for the same services as you by using our free 60 second bill checker. Remember that loyal SKY customers tell us they pay £20 a month more on average than new ones. That's £240 a year that you could save on average. Sky are constantly increasing the bills of their loyal customers so some people will be overcharged by much more than this.
1. Be prepared
- Before you call, gather all of your current package and bill information together.
- Know your package
- What broadband speed do you pay for, and if possible, what broadband speed do you actually get.
- Do you pay for inclusive home phone calls you may not use?
- What TV channels are included in your package, and what channels do you mainly watch.
- How much is your monthly bill, how much of it is fixed and how much is variable (extra calls, extra films etc)
- If you can, find out before you call whether you are still in a contract (you can always just ask the call handler). This information should be on the original contract you signed, or check in your online account. If you are still in contract, don’t be fooled in to thinking they can’t renegotiate your package. Customers are also allowed to leave their service provider at any time, although you may incur an early disconnection fee if you are still in contract
- Know what services you are willing to drop. If you are paying an extra fee for sports or movies that you don't watch so much any more then why not try dropping them for a while. You can always add them back on at a future date if you start to miss the service.
- Decide if you are willing to accept an upgrade in your service for the same price? This can be a good way of getting better value for money, so think about any services you might like to have without having to pay more, e.g. faster broadband, boxsets, a movies package or extra sports.
- Are you willing to sign a new contract? Often the very best deals will require you to recommit to a new contract, so if you are happy to do this it can help to get the best discount. Think about how long you are willing to do this for – 12 months, 18 months etc
2. How to call SKY and get a great deal
- Call SKY on 03337 594 464 - Ensure that you speak to the Retention team.
- When the agent asks what your call is about, tell them:
- That you have checked your services on ismybillfair.com
- You know what you are being penalised for being a loyal customer
- You want to get a fairer price for your services
- If you aren’t already, that you want to speak to the Retention team. If they do not put you through, threaten to leave – you won’t be forced to go through with it, but it will ensure you speak to the retention team who have the power to give you a fair deal
3. Don’t accept the first offer
Customer Service agents have been given many different options, and the more you challenge them the more chance you have of getting the best one that they have to offer. Don’t feel pressured to say yes there and then. If you need time to think about it, tell the agent this and arrange a convenient time for them to call back. If you aren’t happy with the response, ask to speak to a manager.
If you are still not happy, then one tactic is to end the call and call back later. You are likely to speak to a different person, who may be more understanding of your situation and willing to offer you the best deal.
4. If you are unhappy with SKY's response
- If you do not feel like you have been treated fairly or appropriately, follow SKY's complaint process.
5. If you have had enough of SKY and you want to Switch Provider
- If you decide to switch away from SKY, think about what services you really need or don’t need anymore.
- Use our service and we will recommend a new provider who offers fair pricing all the time.
Is your bill fair? Check my bills